The following day, under rather more pleasant skies, the trench itself was excavated. The new building will occupy the grassed area on the left.
A mini digger was used to dig the trench, and this caused some difficulty because after a foot or two it met the 1906 GWR rock layer on top of the original clay underground. When Winchcombe station was first built, this whole area was excavated by steam shovel, and the clay underground was then sealed with a layer of slagstone and ash. We found the same at Broadway when erecting lamp posts on the forecourt there.